Just Get Over It!

Crystal

Community Manager
Staff member
I hate this phrase so very much. It's such a demeaning, dismissive and useless phrase when it comes to depression. If you've never experienced true depression, sure, it might seem like something you should just shake off and get over it. But that's not the reality of the monster that is depression.

Depression takes you. It doesn't just make you sad or apathetic, it grips your very being and pulls you down. So far down. To a point where you think you can never get back to the light. You're stuck in a state of hopelessness, of such utter despair that you just don't see a way forward, and no amount of positive reinforcement or enjoyable activities will fix anything. It takes time, and ideally proper therapy. There's no cure, no magic switch, it's just something that takes time and something you have to endure. I wish more people would understand that.

Had a "pull yourself out of it" comment recently. Really frustrating!
I HATE THEM! They're the worst. If I could just pull my boot straps up and get over it I bloody well would! It's NOT about that and comments like that do nothing to solve the problem. It's just a show of ignorance.

Back